Depression - manage, overcome.
It’s good to know that depression can be managed. There are many effective treatments. Join us in our webinar for a discussion on what depression looks like and what effective treatments exist. It is really possible to feel better! Note no personal sharing is necessary.
When depressed your whole body is affected. You may feel depressed, sad or deadened. Things that were interesting are no longer interesting. You are tired, but your sleep is poor and you find yourself waking in the middle of the night and not able to go back to sleep.
You may struggle to focus and concentrate and your memory seems to have disappeared. You feel worthless and everything feels meaningless. Everything seems to become negative and it is hard to see hope in anything.
You find yourself ruminating on the bad decisions you have made, people who have wronged you or bad experiences. Some people complain of body aches and pains. You may also be anxious. You may find yourself longing for death and possibly have thoughts of suicide.
You may get unhelpful comments from people such as “Get over it.”, “Just go and run!”, “You are just feeling sorry for yourself!” It may feel as though this will never get any better and you will always struggle.
Attending the webinar.
Here are procedures on making sure one's webinar attendance is successful:
- View a session preferably on a desktop computer or laptop; note that for a tablet or smartphone it may be more awkward as there is usually no separate keyboard or mouse.
- A stable internet connection like ADSL or 3G is recommended; note all communication will be on VOIP (basically per internet), i.e. not per telephone call.
- If you have not attended a webinar before please test your connection beforehand; the webinar session will be open before the scheduled time to ensure all are able to join in time.
- A link to join is sent to one's email that was used to confirm one's booking. When the link is clicked it will open up a box where you can click to launch the Zoom session; a free Zoom app (the webinar software we are using, similar to Skype) is used. Follow the instructions.
- If its the first time the Zoom app is loaded the Zoom_launch.exe file will be downloaded and a big orange arrow points to it. Click here and press 'Open' and then click to 'run'. The app will be loaded taking a minute or so. You will be prompted for your name, accept or change your name; put in your full name as was supplied for the booking.
- A window will open up where one can test if one can hear adequately; you can also test if your mic is working. Click the button to join the meeting. (If the 'waiting room' option is on, the 'host' will add you to the session);
- We will generally not have the video feed (from the computers' cameras) on for all participants to save on bandwidth / data for all participants; it also helps to make data transfer, and thus the session, more stable.
- Generally we would only have the presenters’ microphone on; questions and comments can be typed in the chat section; participants’ mics would be un-muted when verbal inputs are to be made.
- (if applicable) At the start of the webinar, you will be requested, for record purposes for professional development points (e.g. for SACE) to type in your full name in the chat section and at the end of the session a short comment about the webinar. The record of the chat will be attached to the attendance register drawn up and sent in e.g. to SACE; a video and audio recording is enabled as backup.